Monday 16 July 2012

Yorkshire Waterfalls!

So on Friday some of us were heading to the Peak District for climbing, but I decided to leave earlier and nip past the Yorkshire Dales to hunt down some waterfalls... Having set off at 9am I wasn't at Richmond till 1530, but that wasn't a huge problem as the light was still too bright for slow shutter speeds.

I built a Google map list of waterfalls I wanted to track down and I did my best to manage as many as possible in a short time.

Richmond Falls was a bit of a wash out, very impressive to look at but darn near impossible to photograph at 1530/1600 on a summer's day. Only when zoomed in could I reduce the shutter speed enough.Ooooh this would be a good time for an expensive dark filter!

F36 1/3s 63mm
But while I like this picture, it doesn't help show the mighty nature of the waterfall! Which is impressively wide, although short.
F22 1/3 15mm
It goes out to that wall too, but the only rocks to stand on in front were too far away for a good photo. I also made it out to that wall on the right of the picture, but it's impossible to see the main fall there.

Anyway, so mindful of time i raced back up the hill and jumped back in the car and headed on to Orgate Force (that's not my picture). But honestly, I couldn't find it - well more to the point I couldn't find anywhere of parking the car within a few miles so after a while of trying to walk up stream... So I cut my losses and went on to a place with no name. Where I found these:




 After this I went for a walk down stream in search of the next, and while I could hear one I couldn't find a way down to it... which bummed me out a little. But I found myself in a field full of rabbits, which was good too.

I'll most definitely be going back, I only managed a fraction of my list as they take a surprisingly long time to track down, frame up and then photograph. It clearly needs to be at least a week, but I'm not sure Bex could be dragged around Yorkshire for a whole week of my hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment